Per Wikipedia, Green building (also known as green construction or sustainable building) refers to both a structure and the application of processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building’s life-cycle: from planning to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and demolition.
In fact, in the Middle East, concerns for anything green were second to that fundamentally frantic development of buildings and all related infrastructure to nevertheless greater and greater awareness of their various environmental impact. As a matter of fact, the brunt of all development was and still is located in the Arabian Gulf where carbon footprints of any urban agglomeration were recently assessed to be at critical levels. Elsewhere in the Middle East apart from the large conurbation of Cairo, Damascus, Bagdad, Beirut, etc. things were less acutely perceived but still not exactly as clear of any criticism as one would have hoped. Hence this ecoMENA write-up that elaborates fairly well on the subject.
Al Jazeera produced this programme titled “Amman celebrates first Design Week” and published it on September 9th, 2016
Design Week was a festival of juxtapositions, with different disciplines, backgrounds and styles joining together to create new possibilities in a place where design is still finding its feet. It was held in the Jordanian capital across three major locations, and was a celebration of the city’s blossoming arts and design scene.
100+ exhibitors took part in this show, with renowned artists and architects from across the Arab world. Organisers explored the links between contemporary and traditional Jordanian crafts, while revitalising disused spaces as creative hubs. Ordinary people who create art in their spare time were exhibited alongside international designers.
As per the UN HABITAT Jordan is growing quickly. With high rates of population growth and a unique geography, Jordan is faced with both unprecedented challenges in managing the country’s lands and development and also offered exceptional opportunities in revitalizing the Kingdom. Jordan is one of the smallest and poorest economies in the Middle East, with . . .
The World Economic Forum (WEF) published this article on September 21st, 2016. Ashish J. Thakkar, Chair, Global Entrepreneurship Council, United Nations Foundation and Georgie Benardete, Co-founder, Orchard Mile wrote it and it is about the desperate situation that can be turned around and in this instance how Syrian refugees in Jordan turning to sci-fi tech and business . . .
How Jordan’s refugee camps became hubs of sci-fi tech and booming business.
While much of the focus in the last year has been on those fleeing to Europe, there has been less attention on the overwhelming number of Syrian refugees that have sought refuge in neighbouring countries — primarily Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey. With our colleagues at the United Nation Foundation’s Global Entrepreneurs Council (GEC), we decided to visit Jordan to understand for ourselves the situation on the ground.
There are now over 655,990 Syrian refugees in Jordan, according to estimates by the UN Refugee Agency. For a country of just . . .
There are an increasing number of World Cities and Tourists’ Destinations studies in dedicated websites with eye opening reports generously provided on Cost of Living, Telephone and Taxi charges, etc. We propose 2 websites with excerpts of each reproduced here. The sites are UcityGuides.com and Expatistan.com . Interestingly, the cost of a picnicking day out throughout the world cities was reviewed and the resulting ranking proposed for everyone’s enlightenment.
Jordan, a country that is almost land locked but for an narrow opening onto the Red Sea at Akaba, has a semi desert geography. Water in the Jordan Valley does provide some but because of this need of water, for populations of either side of the valley, frictions are exacerbated between the neighbouring countries. Historically, Jordan as we know it today, is the other part of the original 2 states solution . . . .
Accommodating Changing Power Needs
When this Independent Power Plant was first envisioned, the plant was expected to cover Jordan’s sharp daily peaks in electricity demand. With 38 engines, 22 were expected to run at about 60% capacity factors, while the other 16 were projected to operate at 40% capacity factors. Oil prices were very high when the project was awarded, so LNG was expected to be the primary fuel used by the plant.
The plan, also dubbed “2025 vision”, whilst the Jordanian economy continuing to recover, despite a difficult regional context and a weak global economy, is based on two scenarios; a conservative one with 4.8% in 10 years, and / or an ambitious one at 7.5% by 2025. The main objectives of the blueprint are to address the challenges of rising living costs, poverty and unemployment and to lead the community to a more prosperous level in the coming 10 years.